AS PARENTS, COMMUNITY MEMBERS, AND BUSINESS OWNERS:
- VOTING RIGHTS ELIMINATED: your local voting rights will be eliminated.
- LOCAL SCHOOL DIVISIONS DISAPPEAR: your school division will also be eliminated.
- COMMUNITY FOCUS REMOVED: school divisions would be replaced by bigger administrations serving more students and more communities.
- ACCESS TO DECISION-MAKERS FAR REMOVED: you will ultimately need to take your concerns on any matter regarding education to Winnipeg, no matter where in the province you reside.
- WORK-LIFE BALANCE REDEFINED: as parents, you will be asked to step up to play a more significant part in your child’s schooling. You will not only be required to manage your household and work tasks, but you will also be tasked with governing and managing your local schools.
- BUSINESS DISCONTINUED: as local business owners, you will need to secure contracts for goods and services related to schools in your own community from Winnipeg rather than locally, as you do now.
- TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION: as a Manitoban, you will pay the same school taxes as before but with no elected voice to ensure that money is invested locally, according to who pays it. Government has proposed a phase out of school taxes without a clear plan for how it intends to achieve this. Your local school boards have advocated for this to happen for many years, it is time for actions to follow